Friday, October 8, 2010

FRIDAY! Only one week left ;(

Alright so here's the deal, I cannot believe I only have one more week here. The school week flew by.  It's been 6 days of actually being in Kenya and it's just now I am getting  used to everything. I am writing this as Talisa( who is 7 years old) is braiding and playing with my hair ;)  Today was great! I had to play legos with pre-schoolers who the whole time just talked to me in their mother tongue language. Of course I had no idea what they were saying to me, but I just smile and nod and tried to keep them from hanging on me like little monkeys.  My favorite thing of the day was a little boy named Collins about 4 or 5 years old kept pointing and smirking at me saying "mzungu mzungu!"  In Swahili that means white person!  Adorable little thing, but quite mischievous.  Then I ate lunch with the teachers then it was off to watch class 4 perform a song and dance. I then told class 6 I would read stories with them after they begged me, but I ended up watching class 7 debate team!  All in all, School was great.  I have decided after being here, that the Kenyan Shilling rate to the US Dollar is so little!  It only takes 6,000 shillings to send 2 of the kids to school.  If they could have a sponser, it would be wonderful. I just want to pay for all of the kids, but their are about 400 kids!! Here's my point..... When it comes down to it, 6,000 shillings is $60 US dollars!!!!!!  That would be enough for a whole school year for 2 children! It's just profound.
Tomorrow is Saturday and Daniel is taking Jackie and I to Shimba Hills  to hopefully see wildlife. aka Elephants, giraffes, rhinos etc.... !    Then off to the beach.
I will write again, thats all for now. Goodnight (here) from Kenya
With Love,
Des

No comments:

Post a Comment