Thursday, October 7, 2010

Day 6 in Kenya ;)

JAMBO (Hi) Everyone!! So sorry it's been a bit since my last update. I have had the worst luck connecting to the internet. So far, it's extremely hot and humid here, probably such as a humid summer day in Minnesota.  It is a whole day difference of 8 hours so my time is all off!
I'm living with a great family and the girls are sitting right next to me watching some dramatic show ;)
To make a long story somewhat short, lets start by saying life is much different here.  Every day I start my walk to the Shikamana School for disadvantage/orphan children.(45 minutes there, 45minutes back) I am greeted by a "Jambo" almost everyday by the people in the village on my walk.  Jackie ( The other volunteer from England)  and I were initially in charge of just loving, feeding and caring for some of the children, but we have now stepped in and started teaching a few classes.  The classes are from Kindegarten 1 all the way to Class 8.  Class 6 Math and PE classes and kids are my favorite so far. Oh and class 8! Yesterday a lady from Belgium came in and taught them a few songs and dance.  All the ages are just lovely and precious.

The school itself was built actually 2 years by the Americans! Previously, the children (now around 400 students) had been learning outside and under a little hut.  They then built a very westernized style school for them.  I love being a part of it! We are so blessed to be living in one of the most powerful countries of the world.  Everything we do and achieve should never be taken for granted. My favorite part is when I tell them I am from America I get almost the same response.... " OH Obama!!" DO you know him?  Who did you vote for?  Of course I just had to laugh.  Now, they usually don't every learn about the U.S. presidents until at least high school, but in this case seeing as Obama's dad was Kenyan it's quite a huge deal for everyone here!

I have also come to the conclusion that my tattoos are very distracting to most the children. I tried my best to cover them up but it's just too hot!! One little boy asked me if I would take him to America to get meet Obama and get a tattoo;) hehe   Well then...... Guess that sums up that day.

Today we gave class 8 the option of social studies or P.E. and they all chose social studies. There are some very, very intelligent students in the classes.
My next project when I get home is to put together a few fundraisers for more libraries in order for teachers and students to actually learn more.  I know we all have an idea of a 3rd world country, but honestly until you arrive and live with the culture( not just seeing a village of the people as a tourist) no idea!

Tomorrow is Friday which means it has already been a week! Only a week to go which actually is somewhat disappointing:(   See you all soon !
XOXOXOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment